Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Guest Post: Linda Barton, Author of Next Move, You're Dead

Shelf Full of Books welcomes Linda Barton, author of Next Move, You're Dead, the subject of yesterday's book review. 


Hello, my name is Linda L Barton; I am an author of thriller and suspense.  I have recently founded Deadly Reads, LLC, an exciting new publishing company.  First, I would like to thank Kathryn for inviting me to be a guest on her blog and share with you how I develop the evil characters in my books.

I have a partner in developing my stories my husband, Bob, is the true creative force in my writing, or some may call him my muse.  It all had the strangest beginning, so I guess I will begin there.

I used to drive a big rig truck with my husband, and one day while driving through the desert of southern California on our way to Fort Irwin he turned to me and said, “I have an idea for a book.”  I had never written a novel before, but had always enjoyed toying with the idea.  We began talking about the idea of a man who loved to destroy people by 
framing them for crimes, and before we knew it we had the basic plot for Next Move, You’re Dead.

I began writing the book while still driving and soon learned that writing a book was more difficult than I had ever thought it would be.  The character of Erebus was so different from any I had ever read or watched in a movie, so I found myself digging into the deepest parts of my mind to allow him to tell his story.  As I wrote the book, Erebus came alive in my mind; he would haunt my dreams and force me to write things that shocked me on more than one occasion.

Erebus is not your normal villain.  To him, his chosen victims are merely pieces used in his game; a game of death that he has played over the years with numerous Trackers, as he refers to his specially chosen opponents.

I wish I could tell you that I carefully planned each move Erebus made in his game, but it would not be true.  I have heard of other authors carefully planning each step in their books, but I cannot because the characters will have plans of their own.  I have had people ask me if I have any rituals I do while writing.  Do I have a favorite chair, or room in which to write?  I sit in my worn out chair in my fuzzy slippers with my trusty laptop.  They ask if I listen to music, or do I need complete silence?  I am one that writes best in complete silence.  The best way for me to explain it is that it’s as if I am watching a movie play out in my mind.  I just type what I see, and I do have to admit that there have been times when I find myself typing with my eyes closed.  Then once I am done, I will go back, read what I just wrote, and be surprised at what is on the page.  I even joke how I am just the typist for the voices, and that they are the true author.  I cannot explain where it all comes from; I guess I just have a dark side that comes to the surface whenever I close my eyes and begin to write.

I am currently working on my first paranormal thriller titled 4, the story of a vengeful spirit who reins down terror on the bloodline of the man who murdered his family 200+ years ago.  I must say the voices are taking me to a dark and frightening place with this one, but I am having a great time and I look forward to see what they have planned for this book.


As I stated earlier, I used to be an over-the-road truck driver with my husband, Bob.  I drove with him for ten years all over this beautiful country.  Who knows, maybe someday I will write about our adventures while on the road.  Before I drove a big rig, I worked as a claims adjuster, cashier, hair stylist, and full time mom, which is my most rewarding job of all.

Bob and I have been married for over thirty years.  We have two grown children, five grandchildren, two fun loving dogs, and two silly goldfish.  We live in southeast Texas and enjoy this adventure called life.

I want to thank Kathryn for asking me to be a guest on her blog.  She has been a gracious host, and I would like to thank her for allowing me to share my story with you.

Contact Linda Barton 

No comments :

Post a Comment